Popular Posts

Monday, October 11, 2010

A brief introduction...

I am not sure it is even necessary to have an introduction post... but somehow I feel like I would be leaving something out if I didn't have one- so here it is, for all of you readers of the future (for something tells me that this blog will be something like fine wine- crappy to start out with, but as time goes on, and I get more practice- it will get better and better, and maybe I'll get a few readers! lol) a little bit about me, on this day, in beautiful October.

I am currently a stay-at-home-mom to two wonderful kids, my son Kam, who is almost 6 and JJ, my little princess who is one.  I love this job, I love that it has been my job to shape the lives of these two wonderful little people, but while I love this job, it has come with it's own set of challenges.  With one (not-so-large) income we have had to re-evaluate our priorities, and figure out way to cut corners, and in the process I have found that we can make some big impacts on our carbon foot-prints along the way.

While we were both working two jobs (yes, each), it seemed impossible to sit down to dinner, let alone think about the impact that we were having on this planet.  It seemed that there was no time to worry about being "green" when we had to spend all of our "green" just trying to survive.  But while I was pregnant with our daughter we had some big decisions to make- was it worth it to work all the time, and barely scrape by after paying for daycare, or could we find a way to make it work on one income?

This journey started by thinking of ways we could save on baby items- yes hand me downs were a given, and buying 2nd hand was another great option- but if we were going to make this work, we had to do more.  And then I started considering the things I had stuck my nose up to at one point in time- CLOTH DIAPERS... that's when I started to see the horrible impact disposables were having on the environment... and it started a snowball effect... I started opening my eyes to all the ways we could save money, which seemed to go hand-in-hand with being more green.

And so we made the leap- and it's working out great!  In the last year I have learned how to sew, knit, make soap, grocery shop frugally (and once a month), and all kinds of other great things, and I want to be able to help all those other people out there who are trying to save money and be green, even if all I do is get one person to make one small change, I will feel I have accomplished something fantastic!

So sit back, read, learn, and enjoy!  If there is anything I can help with, something you think I should look into or learn more about, have things that you are doing that are not listed in this blog- please feel free to leave a comment!

Oh, and for anyone interested- this is the cloth diaper pattern that we use- I love Amazon.com, and yes, I will make a little bit if you decide to click-on this link, but I would NEVER suggest something that I don't myself use now, or have used in the past, or that I didn't/ don't believe in!  So if you're interested, check it out and let me know what you think!  This pattern was by far the trimmest fitting that I have found-

No comments:

Post a Comment